News

Kidnap & Ransom - do not take the risk

News >>

"Hello, my name is Warren Rodwell. I have the dubious distinction of being the longest held Australian captive out of war, after being shot through the right hand when kidnapped in the southern Philippines on December 5, 2011 by the Al Qaeda-linked Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG). It was necessary to eventually have a finger amputated.

The ASG threatened to behead me if the original ransom demand for $US2 million was not paid. Both the Philippine and Australian governments had strict policies of refusing to pay ransoms. After the payment of $AUD94,000 for "board and lodging" expenses by my siblings, I was released 472 days later on March 23, 2013, and subsequently returned to Australia to rehabilitate, after losing about 30 kilograms in weight due to starvation. 

Now when I travel, I always make sure I have the right cover. A policy with adequate Kidnap and Ransom cover, along with good medical and repatriation coverage. I did not think this could ever happen to me, but it did. I certainly wish I had the right cover that would have assisted me. So speak to your Insurance Broker and make sure you get the right advice and have the right cover for any future trips you make overseas"

Watch his story here on You Tube  or the news report and check out his website www.warrenrodwell.com

Last changed: Dec 18 2015 at 12:37 PM

Comments

  1. SITUATION NOT NORMAL documentary video / song By Guest
    on Jan 23 2016 at 6:36 AM

    Warren Rodwell's kidnapping in Mindanao (2011-2013) SITUATION NOT NORMAL - Song written by Warren R Rodwell - The longest held Australian captive outside war. Composed & Performed by Mad Cowboy Disease / Produced by Stewart Peters SoundShed Music Blackheath NSW Australia.

    YouTube by Finncut
    https://www.youtube.com/embed/-0wS5uLlG7w

Add Comment

Latest News

Summer catastrophe bill over $500 million

Insured losses for the four catastrophes declared over summer have gone above $550 million, according to the Insurance Council of Australia. 

There was a bit of a “sharp rise in value” of losses with the Great Ocean road bushfires that hit Victoria over Christmas. Insured losses from the Victorian bushfires now stand at $110 million from 527 claims, compared with $88 million one month ago. Rob Whelan, CEO of the ICA, said that the clean-up operation in the state is well underway with at least 15 sites cleaned up so far by contractors. Insurers can only commence rebuilding once each site has been cleared of debris, including asbestos.  Also the extremely steep terrain is presenting significant challenges, but insurers are determined to rebuild homes in the shortest time possible once the design and planning approval process is completed.  

read more

Hot summer leads to more claims

Insurance claims have so far exceeded $515 million this summer. Unfortunately they are likely to increase further as the country continues to deal with bushfires and severe storms. The Insurance Council of Australia (ICA) said the figure is made up from four catastrophes. These include three major bushfires in Pinery in South Australia, Victoria's Great Ocean Road and in Yarloop in Western Australia. Then there was also the Sydney storms and tornado in December.  Insurers were expecting this to be a highly dangerous summer. The predictions were for a heightened bushfire risk in exactly the areas that have suffered bushfires. It is still only the middle of  summer. The world has also experienced the hottest year on record since 1880. With more evaporation of land and oceans, combined with more mositure in the atmosphere creating more storm activity and then a greater volume being dumped somewhere else on the planet, it is unlikely these events will reduce into the future.

read more