News

Toxic Mushroom warnings

News >> Risk Management

Toxic Mushrooms have recently claimed the lives of a number of people in the Canberra area.

Even people who have thought they were familiar with these types of Mushrooms, particularly visitors from Asia, have made this deadly mistake recently.

Those who have died were awaiting Liver Transplants and with Australia's poor record of Organ donation, little chance can be given to anyones survival. 

So while we all want fresh food, it may be best to stick to the products you know in the Grocery shops. Most should have Products Liability cover for any type of accidental poisoning of customers from the goods they sell.

The Mushrooms in question are called Death Cap Mushrooms and here is some more information about them.

History:

  • Death cap mushrooms are considered the most poisonous in the world and one is enough to kill an adult human.
  • Before this week's deaths, three people had died and at least 12 made sick from eating death cap mushrooms in Australia in the past decade.
  • Death caps have been involved in the majority of deaths around the world from mushroom poisoning, including that of Roman emperor Claudius.

Appearance:

  • Death cap mushrooms are similar in appearance to several species of edible mushrooms commonly used in cooking, such as paddy straw mushrooms and caesar's mushroom.
  • Death caps may be white but are usually pale green to yellow in colour, with white gills and a white or pale green stalk up to 15cm long.
  • The entire mushroom is poisonous and cooking or peeling the mushroom does not remove toxicity.

Symptoms:

  • Death caps are said to taste pleasant and symptoms can occur six to 24 hours after consumption.
  • Initial symptoms can include abdominal pain, diarrhoea, vomiting, hypotension and jaundice, followed by seizures, coma, renal failure and cardiac arrest.

Habitat:

  • Death cap mushrooms can be found in parts of south eastern Australia, particularly ACT and parts of Victoria.
  • They are commonly found near established oak trees and some other hardwood trees and are most common during later summer to early winter after heavy rain or irrigation.
  • It is thought death caps were introduced to Australia with the importation of different hardwoods.

Treatment:

  • Death caps are extremely poisonous and if consumed it is a medical emergency.
  • Anyone who suspects they have eaten a death cap should seek immediate medical attention and where possible take a mushroom sample for identification.

  

For more on this subject, click on these links:

Two die from Toxic Mushrooms

Call for Toxic Mushroom warnings

Last changed: Jan 09 2012 at 9:09 AM

Comments

  1. None Found

Add Comment

Latest News

2019 Insurance Brokerage of the Year

CPR Insurance Services are so proud to be awards for the second year in a row, "Australian Insurance Brokerage of the Year (1-5 staff)". To win this award two years running is very much a fantastic achievement and reflects the high standard we have maintained in the last two years.

We very much thank our hard working staff, Ausure Insurance Brokers our licence holder, the Steadfast Group, NIBA and LMI who have supported us with resources and services to meet the demands of our clients.

And of course we thank all our clients for their fantastic support over the eight years of our business, who if not for them, we would not have a business. Thank you.

read more

Robert Cooper named Elite Broker again

 

Robert Cooper was named in the Top 20 Elite Brokers once again in 2019 from Insurance Business Magazine. He has been in this list for five out of the last six years. This year he finished in his highest position of eighth.

Robert admits he could not have achieved this without the support of his wonderful staff, and in particular Mandy Cooper.

read more